The second big step requires a bit of set-up.
I found out how I did on the MCAT yesterday. I got a 30, which is pretty much the minimum score that would be considered "competitive." Hopefully that, my high undergrad GPA, and my experiences in research since graduation will be a winning combo. Anyways, to reward myself I decided to sign up for another round of improv class. It's the same instructor as last time, and as before he is fond of going around the room and asking people about their lives, to get a sense of who they are. He often gets pretty personal, asking about dating and relationships. Last class I just kinda dodged my way through the questions, but I didn't want to be made to feel awkward this time around. Fortunately this time a guy who went before me was gay himself, and the instructor asked him a lot about his coming out process. That made me feel emboldened, since I wouldn't be the token gay guy in the class, so when it came to be my turn I spilled my guts. I talked about how taking the improv classes had improved my confidence and allowed me to start dating, and how the person I was dating was a guy. That led to a running joke where the next person was always asked "So, when did you come out?" It was cool, everyone was supportive. Only one person in the class was someone I already knew, and I think he was a bit surprised by the revelation. I also revealed to them that this was the very first time I had come out to a group . . . always before it had been in one-on-one settings.
I'm hoping that the more I come out the more I'll feel comfortable identifying as gay. Because I really don't know what other way this is going to go. I can't make myself feel any more gay, but I can't make myself be more attracted to girls either. I just wish sooo much that I had a stronger sex drive! Ben and I have done things a couple times, yes, and it was enjoyable, but I just don't experience the desire to have sex like other people do. It allows my ever-questioning mind to constantly cast doubt on my feelings, even when it seems the evidence is solid. Ben being out of town for so long doesn't help. I really want him to come back, because being with him is really the only thing that's going to make this feeling go away. Being with him takes me out of my head, out of my doubt, and allows me to enjoy the moment.
I spoke to YouTube guy a couple days ago. I feel like I can relate to him more than just about anyone, since he he's also an over-thinker and has experienced confusion about which way to go as well. However, he's currently in a pretty serious relationship with a guy he's been seeing for 3 months, and it sounds like he's pretty happy. He definitely sounds less conflicted than before. Maybe I'll try to follow his lead. He also mentioned the possibility of coming to CA with his BF at some point, which would be awesome. Double date anyone?
I just went and took down my Match.com profile (well, I made it invisible until the subscription runs out). I noticed that Ben still has his profile, with last activity two weeks ago. I hope he's not still looking! Haha, uh oh, careful there, can't become the jealous type.
7 comments:
Some years ago I took my bf to a reunion (mine was from elementary school) too and was nervous as hell what my former classmates and teachers reactions would be. It turned out very good; got lots of compliments about my 'taste in guys', normal curious questions where I lived, what my job was and stuff like everyone else, and not a single weird word was said. We got to laugh about things from our childhood set in a different perspective now (I was quite the ladies man of my year back then (in a childish way of course, we were like 12 lol), so I could call half of the girls my 'ex-gf' haha.
And since my rule is I never ever lie about my sexuality (avoiding questions is the most I tolerate myself), bringing your (cute, funny, nice, hot,...) bf makes a way more bigger and better impression than just saying 'I'm gay', because people consider things different in personal than in general.
But it seems you're doing good, fitting in Ben in your personal life in such a natural way.
Sometimes I still think about what makes me gay, because I don't feel exactly that way. But hey, I just am cause I like guys and live with my bf. There's no need to prove that to myself (nor to others) so I don't need looking for evidence...
Don't worry about that profile of Ben. Mostly guys keep such a profile to check what they're (still) worth, out of curiousity and trying to find kind of a self-esteem booster. Jealousy indeed is an ugly beast, don't let that slip into your relationship because of such a silly thing.
Coming out is a continuous process, so yes, you will feel more comfortable saying it. Telling all your classmates is a big step. It will take time for you to fully embrace your sexual identity so don't feel bad if you have lingering doubts. As long as you move forward and make progress.
I don't know what to do with your less than average sex drive other than to say perhaps that's just who you are -- it doesn't mean you are lesser for it. And if Ben "stimulates" that, isn't that a big plus in Ben's favor?
You can worry about all these things poking doubts at you -- some of which you cannot change -- but why focus on what you don't have instead of embracing all the positive things that have come out of this recent journey of discovery? If you fill your thoughts about all the great things going on, then your mind won't linger on what's missing.
I forgot to add -- while it's great that Ben has been able to unlock some of the ambivalence you feel and he provides a wonderful reason to continue down this path, helping you get comfortable with your identity, you also need to be able feel good about yourself even without him. Sure, he makes you happy but some of that happiness should also come from deep with in yourself. You shouldn't rely 100% on someone else for your happiness.
Thanks guys, as always. I really appreciate your thoughts, they are always so insightful.
fan of casey . . . I definitely don't depend on Ben for 100% of my happiness. In fact, figuring out what makes me happy is a large part of what gave me the confidence to start dating guys in the first place. I wouldn't have met Ben otherwise. I'm just saying that when I'm with Ben, a lot of the doubts about being gay and whether this path is what I should be doing quiet down.
A few things.
1. Hurray on making the decision to bring Ben along! That should be fun. :-)
2. MCAT = 30 is indeed pretty much the minimum score to be considered competitive. The question is, where will you get into med school? Brace yourself in knowing you may get into a school far away from where you currently are, and that can cause some strain on relationships.
3. Not sure what you mean by "make myself feel any more gay." By the most basic definition, you're with Ben, you've done sexy stuff with him, and you like it and do see yourself doing similar things with girls. Is that not enough? :-P
4. I think you should take "last activity two weeks ago" as a very good sign! :-D
Thanks Aek.
1. Yeah, it will be scary but it should be fun.
2. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm really try to stay positive here. What will be will be, and I want to deal with that when the time comes. My form of "bracing" myself involves a little too much worrying, so I'm just trying to take things step by step for now. Hopefully the rest of my application will be strong enough to compensate for the lower-than-I'd-like score, because my goal is to stay in the area if possible.
3. Being with Ben and doing sexy things = DOING gay things, not necessary "feeling gay." I liked it, sure, but my doubts fall in when I start to think "did I like it as much as I should have? Would I like it with girls better?"
4. Yeah, I'm really not worried about the profile thing, Ben's words speak much louder than that.
Congrats on a positive result and I hope that it works out the way you are hoping to.
'Feeling Gay'? I don't think I really know what this means - but I get what you're saying about not knowing which you prefer. But who is to say that you have to know the answer to that.
If being with Ben is making you happy RIGHT NOW and he's content too, that's pretty much all you need. That and good communication.
Sex drives change. Don't fall into the trap of using your sex drive as a measure of attraction. Sounds like from your posts that emotional availability would do more for you right now that just getting laid on repeat anyway?
I hope this turns out to be something great for you!
Sam
p.s. good song choice!
Post a Comment