The sometimes confusing but always exciting journey toward finding my place in the world.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Stranger in a sexual land
I had a good visit with my friend "Janice" tonight. We went and got food at a food truck and then came back to my place to hang out. She's the friend with whom I'm able to talk about deep topics like politics, religion, and philosophy. She's also the only friend I'm "out" to. I filled her in on the most recent happenings on my self-discovery quest: going to the gay bar in Chicago, my anxiety issues, the talk with my mom, and my concerns over my sex drive and attempts to improve it. She offered some helpful advice, reminding me that not being quite as driven toward sex as some people isn't the worst thing in the world. She was also optimistic that once I was in a relationship with the right person I would be able to figure things out in the sexual realm. I hope so. There has been some times when I felt what probably was some sexual attraction, so it could be that I really just need the right context (as some commenters have suggested in the past). At this point I am more upset by the sex drive issue than the prospect of being bisexual or gay. Hopefully if I ever manage to be in a relationship with someone it won't be too much of an issue, or it will improve before then. It's not like I don't want to have sex. I just wish I wanted it more than I do. I don't seem to be all that driven towards having it, the desire to get naked with someone and go to town just isn't very strong. Janice described me as being not very "instinctual." I don't really notice the testosterone gel the doctor prescribed having that much of a noticeable effect on my libido (though unless I'm imagining things I feel like I'm seeing better results from the gym than I have for a while, haha). I'll keep at it and hope for the best. Meanwhile, I'm getting all self-conscious just writing about this. I crossed the "attracted to men" hurdle long ago and these blogs make me feel less alone about that, but every time I write about having a lower than average sex drive it makes me feel like an alien.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I empathize with your lack of desire. If you're not seeing much of a difference with the gel, chances are you may just be hard-wired to be modestly lusty. That might not be such a bad thing.
Lots of people are telling me that the best way to find Mr. Right is by hooking-up. Ug. I have no enthusiasm for that.
My lack of desire for hook-ups definitely makes meeting men more difficult, but I think that ultimately I will have more respect for myself and I'll be more likely to find someone compatible if I avoid them. At least that's what I hope.
That said, I've been fooling around with Grindr. I've been completely passive but I've had 22 guys message me in a few days. All but one was looking for sex right away. Still, just talking to some of them got my blood flowing. I didn't expect that. I even fantasized a little bit, which I don't usually do.
It's been so long since I've been with a guy that I've been worried that I wouldn't be into the sex whenever the time came. Now, just from knowing how I've responded when I didn't expect to on Grindr, I'm feeling both more confident and more optimistic.
I honestly expected to be ignored and/or to be blocked right away on Grindr but that's only happened once (guy was ugly too!) You might want to give it a try. Tease yourself with the possibilities and see how you respond.
I post a picture, no other info, and wait for guys to message me. It's been a surprisingly pleasant experience so far.
Well, this is fascinating lol. Because I'm one of those people with an enormous sex drive, several times a day if I could...and honestly, it gets a little in the way.
Instead of more homely hobbies, it's spent online or on XXX sites. If I wasn't overcome with...cum...I'd have done so many other more productive pursuits.
So it'd be nice actually, if I didn't have a sex drive, by implication a love drive or desire to be with someone because I won't be so hung up on boys and their rejection.
Interesting. And I think your friend is right, all it takes is the right person, guy or girl, to get you going.
Thanks for the comments, guys. You're right, the other extreme definitely has its downsides too. TwoLives, I'm also definitely not a one-night stand kind of guy. Connecting with people on an intellectual and emotional level is a lot more desirable for me.
I can sympathize with your low sex drive. Mine is pretty low too most days. Then again, that's partly due to the nature of how busy I am from day to day that I don't really have adequate time (or energy or will) to pursue a relationship and see where things go. :-/
I think if you fall in love with the right person (and he falls in love with you), your sex drive and sexual response will be just fine. Maybe you need an emotional connection as well as a physical / sexual one.
Post a Comment