I just watched a video clip from Bill Maher's show that featured Chaz Bono and Ann Coulter as guests (
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-ann-coulter-chris-hayes-chaz-bono-debate/). As much as I try to give Ann Coulter the benefit of the doubt, pretty much everything she says and does elicits outrage in me. In this clip she 1) accuses Bill Maher of being a misogynist for criticizing Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin, but fails to offer up any other evidence, 2) claims that Christians would never need to see a psychiatrist because they have God . . . well, unless it's schizophrenia or something else "that's a chemical" (what does that even mean, and how would she differentiate between mental problems that are "a chemical" and are not?), and 3) continues to act completely condescending and overly defensive, as always. It seems whenever I see her being interviewed she reacts to people questioning her in a similar way: by refusing to back up her claims and instead acting incredulous that anyone would
ask her to.
Most of the discussion is about Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist who appeared on Fox News and was the source of the "misogynist" claim about Bill Maher. Ablow also criticized Chaz Bono, saying that him being transgender is a "psychotic delusion" and endangers our "sense of what is all real and true." Well, I suppose he might have a point with the latter claim. The existence of LGBT people doesn't fit well with the fundamentalist Christian paradigm, so I suppose it is threatening to those who hold that worldview.
People with concrete-cast belief systems scare me.
4 comments:
You have the wrong kind of comment box. It is too restrictive. You could get many, many more comments if you allowed "anonymous" and got rid of the stupid word I.d. Try it. Change your comment box. I have a google account. If I didn't have one I could not type this to you. Also,I have NONE of the stupid "OPEN ID",S See what I mean.
I can't stand listening or even seeing Ann Coulter. She just exudes ignorance. No benefit of the doubt given.
@miamigay: Thanks, I didn't realize that. I changed it, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't get spam.
@Aek: Yeah, perhaps I'm too generous with giving the benefit of the doubt. My current favorite quote: "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." Attributed to Carl Sagan, among others.
Post a Comment