Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

I'm spending Memorial Day Weekend up at my cousin Roger's place in Los Angeles.

Thursday I got an unexpected invitation to come up to LA with a friend and see Queens of the Stone Age in concert. I hadn't seen them yet, so that was a great treat. The venue was located very close to where Ben lives, and that put me a little bit on edge. I hadn't seen this friend since coming out (though he has known for a while, he's Janice's brother), so I told him a bit about my relationship and its end. As with everyone I asked him his opinion about "spark" and "chemistry." I really should stop dwelling on it.

Friday I hung out with Tom and played some video games. I feel so much more comfortable and natural around him than I used to. Part of that is because of the great friend he has been since my breakup. Part of it is the maturation that he has gone through in his personality over the past couple years. And I think part of it is Brody . . . the situation with him makes me appreciate Tom so much more, haha. Like Brody, Tom is relatively emotionally needy and insecure. BUT, he is a lot more respectful of boundaries. I can't imagine him talking to me the way Brody did.

Yep, I'm still pissed about it. Brody has texted me a couple times throughout the week. I've kept it short and straightforward, just answering questions. I think he's likely getting the message, though I know he has family visiting so that has likely kept him fairly occupied. I'll have to decide when and whether to meet up with him again.

Saturday I drove up here to LA and had a lunch date with a new guy, a medical student. He was really nice and quite good looking. He lives quite far from me, and he only has one year left in LA before he starts residency somewhere, so I don't think I'll pursue anything beyond friendship with him. Still I would like to get to know him better. Like me, he was a bit of a "late bloomer" to the whole coming out and dating thing. He's been out for 2 years. He suggested we hang out again next time I'm in LA. After the date I went to a movie theater in Hollywood to see Star Trek with Roger and Lance. It was good! Then we walked up and down Hollywood Boulevard for a couple hours, which I always enjoy doing.

Sunday (today) was another lunch date, this one with a pretty good looking and fit Latino guy. He seems really nice, though I didn't feel we had quite as much in common as the med student and I did. After that I met up with some friends and explored the neighborhoods of Los Feliz and Silverlake. My one friend is a gay guy that I met through a college friend a couple months ago. He's from France and is very nice. Kind of cute but I'm not sure he's my type. Plus he doesn't have a car, haha. After we parted ways (he had errands to do), I headed back toward my cousin's house. On my way through Silverlake I spotted the bar Akbar, which I knew was a gay bar (the rainbow flag confirmed this). I passed it and continued on somewhat conflicted before finally deciding to turn around and grab a drink there. It was a fairly cool bar. Some cute guys, especially one couple I saw. It's always awkward drinking alone in a bar so after I finished my drink and felt satisfied that I had experienced the bar's atmosphere I left to head back to Roger's. I sent Nick a text message to see how his weekend is going (he's visiting Arizona). He replied to say he was having a lot of fun and asked how LA was. He comes back tomorrow. I'd like to see him again this week, though I'd kind of like him to initiate this one.

No solid plans for my day off yet. The Latino guy mentioned the possibility of going on a hike after he gets off work before I go back home, so I'll see if he contacts me.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Sounds like an eventful long weekend! And tapping into the med students, eh? ;-) J/k.

I HATE drinking alone in a bar/club. Actually, I border on refusing to enter a bar/club by myself if it's a place I'm not rather familiar with.

fan of casey said...

What an action packed weekend.

If I might offer some unsolicited advice, if I were you I think I would scale back your lack of chemistry stories with new guys.

I'm not saying to muzzle yourself or lie, I'm sure having sympathetic ears is of comfort to you, but you don't have to go into a lot of detail. You can just say things didn't work out.

I'm afraid when you speak so passionately about it, it may undermine you in the eyes of new guys you are trying to meet. They may be reluctant because they might get the vibe you are on the rebound or have not moved on yet and won't give you the chance you deserve.