Friday, February 24, 2012

Like Christmas in my inbox

Between Match and messages from various online friends, my email inbox is definitely a lot more lively lately. I've been corresponding with three guys on Match though Jake is the one I'm most excited about. We've been exchanging very lengthy emails. He seems like a really great guy, and I look forward to him returning from his business trip so we can actually meet in person. It also sounds like he came to terms with his sexuality and came out relatively recently (over the last couple years), which takes loads of pressure off of me. I was worried that not being "out" enough or for long enough would be an obstacle for me, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case with this guy. It had been a couple of days since I'd last responded to him, so I was very excited to get an email from him tonight.

I also got an email today from one of my best friends, let's call him Steve. Steve's in the military, so I barely ever see him. In fact, we were only friends for the last two quarters of college before he moved out of California. But somehow (largely due to the wonders of the internet and Xbox Live) we managed to become closer friends despite the distance. One of the great things about Steve is that he'll periodically check in with me, usually via email. All my life I've constantly had to be the one to maintain contact with friends, even close friends. Heck, even family members like my sisters and cousins will go weeks and weeks without calling me, so I'm always the first to call them. I've largely accepted this as my role, and have learned to not take it personally.  At the same time, I always greatly appreciate it when a friend is the first to contact me. Steve is good about that. So hearing from him was a treat today.

Then I also got an email from Mike, my email pen pal I wrote about previously.  He's been non-stop travelling so it'd been a while since I'd heard from him. Shortly after I sent off my response to Jake I found Mike's message waiting in my inbox. Again I got excited, as his messages are always fun to read.  So basically, it was like Christmas morning in my email inbox today.

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

I've had similar experience with this. For certain friends, I have to be the one that initiates contact -- and for the most part, my reaction is like yours, I don't mind.

What I do mind is when people contact me only when they need or want something. That's kind of annoying.

So like you, I'm excited when people email to just share news, keep tabs -- I appreciate that because I know it takes effort with their busy lives.

El Genio said...

I think it's not so much being "out" that is important, it's more along the lines of understanding the value of living with honesty and integrity. Most people recognize that this is more about a journey than your current state of being. If you're moving in a positive direction, people will see that and react accordingly.

Kevin said...

Got exactly the same feeling about maintaining friendship; I'm the one that has to make the first move or there's no contact at all...

Happy for you though you're having good conversations finally :-)