Oh my God, less than a minute ago I did it. I sent an email to my gay Facebook acquaintance. I explained my situation and asked him if he would mind meeting up with me sometime to discuss his perspectives on sexuality and his experiences with deciding he was gay and coming out and all of that stuff. This is sort of huge for me, haha. The only people I've revealed my secret to before this have been 1) trusted loved ones (after I spent a lengthy time testing their attitudes about homosexuality/bisexuality), 2) psychology professionals in a confidential environment, and 3) my roommate at one of the grad school interview weekends last year, whom I figured I would never see again.
Took me a while to work up the nerve to do it. And then I finally pushed "Send" . . . and a little box came up saying "Are you sure you want to send with no Subject Line?" D'OH!! Finally I sent it for real, with my real name and everything since we've only met once. I wanted to make sure he knew who I was.
He also happens to have a PhD, so I expressed interest in talking about his feelings regarding academia. You know, my other "favorite" topic, haha. Hey, since I'm talking to him, might as well see if he can give me some insight on my other big issue too :-)
So that's the big news of the day.
2 comments:
It's a step in the right direction ;-)
Proud of ya for taking a step forward. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to talk with you. Now, just breathe! :-)
Post a Comment