Thursday, October 7, 2010

Two fronts

Let's see . . . what's in the news of my life . . .

On the career front: I have shadowed at the dentist's office twice now. I hate to say it . . . I'm not really feeling it. I fear I may not be able to get this teaching thing out of my head unless I give it a try. The two sticking points: 1) Working with teenagers could either be really fun, or really stressful (or both). I need to find out more about people's experiences teaching I guess, to get an idea of if I could handle it. 2) The pay. I'm not very materialistic, but I do want to be able to afford to live in California, and be able to live reasonably comfortably without having to worry too much about how I'm going to pay the bills. Plus I do want to travel periodically. It seems teachers figure it out somehow, I guess.

To address these issues, I have contacted 1) a teacher I found on an internet teaching site, 2) one of my old high school teachers, and 3) my friend from college who is now teaching high school science. Hopefully what I learn from them will be elucidating.

On the sexuality front: Well, nothing much to report. It seems my progress on this front comes in spurts. I started this blog around the same time as I first talked to my mom about my issues and starting seeing the psychologist. Then, a few weeks ago, I talked to my cousin and met a fellow blogger in the same week. But since then . . . well I've been continuing the introspection game. I just found a blog, http://cashyguy.blogspot.com, that I can relate to quite well. He hasn't posted in a while, though.

I messaged a guy who I met at one of the grad school recruitment weekends on Facebook. He's gay, and I got along with him quite well at the time (I didn't know he was gay until after). I figured he might be a good one to talk to since he's outside of my social circle. He hasn't responded though. Argh, I hate it when people don't respond to FB messages. If you wouldn't answer a message from me, then take me off your friend's list!

I have seen a couple guys that I thought were really attractive recently. One of them was a guy who came to my work to take a tour of our facility. A lady who works in another part of the building was showing him around, but when she got to one of the rooms that my group does work in she didn't really know what to say. So, she came to me and asked if I wouldn't mind explaining it to him. I gladly did, and frankly didn't want the conversation to end, haha. He was pretty tall and seemed fairly built, and was quite masculine, but he was also rather soft-spoken. I found that very attractive for some reason.

Also, today I found a YouTube user who seems to be quite a talented musician. http://www.youtube.com/user/apples33ds He's also gay, and Australian. My favorite accent in the world. Until next time, g'day mates.

1 comment:

Aek said...

Perhaps you should give teaching a fair shake. Definitely ask around and gather experiences. Perhaps look into Teach for America? That's only a 2-year commitment, so it might be a good way to "test the waters" as it were. Though, I hear TFA sends people to districts that REALLY need teachers, and are often resource-poor and all the ramifications that come with that.