Monday, October 25, 2010

Party time

I went to a Halloween party over the weekend. I was invited by my friend from high school, who is one of my best friends. The party was at the house his girlfriend used to live at (her friends still live there). According to my friend's estimation, 70% of the party goers were gay. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but there were definitely some provocative costumes (especially one guy who was dressed as a SWAT team officer (the male stripper version of one, that is). My friend's girlfriend does have a lot of gay friends for some reason. Most of the time I spent talking to three people: my friend, another friend from college (a pretty eccentric girl who definitely swings both ways), and her friend that she had brought along. I actually got along real well with this friend of hers (I don't think she was gay, but I could be wrong since they did come together). She was cute, and had a really nice personality. We both love travelling, and both are thinking of going into the teaching profession. We're both at that time of our lives when we're making the big decisions. I really enjoyed talking to her. I often wonder whether the type of attraction I feel for girls in these circumstances would be enough to base a relationship on. After all, physical attraction eventually fades anyway. Of course, being an honest person I would have to be upfront about my stronger attraction for guys. And the chances of finding a girlfriend who wouldn't be bothered by that is probably less than the chances of finding a guy if you're gay.

Anyways, at one point my friend the bi girl started prying into my (lack of a) love life, then decided she wants to set me up with some girl she knows. I HATE situations like that. I would privately tell her the truth, but she's the total blabbermouth type.

As for the gay partygoers, I didn't interact with any of them accept for the one I knew (I'm not interested). There were a couple I thought were attractive, though from where I was I didn't really have a good view of the majority of the people. In any case if I end up putting myself out there experimentally, I wouldn't want it to be with anyone in my extended social network. I almost want to drive out to LA or San Diego and go to a bar or something, but the idea of going alone is . . . not pleasant. Are there even that many straight-acting guys that go to bars? That may be an ignorant thing for me to say, but I really don't know. Just trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Going to a bar alone can be a great experience. I've done it in Seattle and a couple times here in the IE. It can be an interesting experience because you see the type of people, force yourself maybe to talk with others, and get an overall feel. I like to do it in a city I'm not familiar with where there is little chance of me knowing someone like LA or when I'm traveling.

You have Tin Lizzys in the OC which is pretty fun.

LA has some fun bars like The Abbey and Mickeys. The Abbey tends to be more a more mixed gay/straight crowd.

I want to explore the SD bar scene more.

Remember I'm just a phone call away... lol

Aek said...

Let me just echo that I agree that going alone is kinda unpleasant/scary. That and the fact that I don't particularly care for bars/clubs makes it more difficult for me. :-/

But you do have Mike just a call away! Ask him to show you around sometime!! :-D

SCalRF said...

Yeah, that's the other thing, I'm not much of a bar/club guy. If there was a rock music club, maybe :-)

Thanks for the offer Mike, I'll think about it. I actually did some reading online on Tin Lizzie. I saw that one of the reviews on Yelp was actually written by a girl that I've been close friends with since elementary school . . . so I'm kind of afraid to go there, haha.

Mike said...

I wouldn't worry too much if someone you know went to Tin Lizzie. What a small world! I have ran into quite a few people from elementary and high school at the gay clubs/bars out here. It is always interesting and is always kind of like a don't ask don't tell kind of situation. It is also kind of the cool thing to do to go to gay clubs.