The sometimes confusing but always exciting journey toward finding my place in the world.
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Happiest place on Earth
Yesterday I took Ben to Disneyland. It was his very first time there since he's from the east coast. I had been wanting to take him there for quite a while, and about a week ago I discovered that this weekend was the annual "Gay Days." It's not officially endorsed by Disneyland, but they know about it. Every year on the first weekend of October, gay people flock to Disneyland dressed in red shirts. Ben and I donned red and got to the park about 5 PM (he had to work during the day, so we purchased discounted "twilight tickets" that are good for 4 PM and later). It was amazing being there with so many gay people about. All over the place were groups of red shirted guys, and seeing a gay couple holding hands was not unusual. Ben and I held hands quite a lot. It was great. Unfortunately two of my favorite rides, Indiana Jones and Space Mountain, were closed (the former was closed all day, the latter broke down right when we went to get in line).
I read an article in the OC Register about the event. There were the inevitable comments from the bigots and homophobes at the bottom. Things like "How come there's no straight day?" (common response: "Try the other 364 days of the year!"). One person stated that they didn't want to go because such an event would attract "strange, flamboyant types." Well, I was there for 7 hours, and though I saw all sorts of guys in red shirts, I did not see any over the top behavior. In retrospect I wonder whether Ben and I holding hands "offended" anyone who saw us.
Today's song: a song that my friend posted on my Facebook wall in response to my status about going to Disneyland. Quite catchy.
If you "offended" someone, why would that be your problem? You should not always defer to society its expectations of you -- sometimes you have to do what feels right to you and not worry about what others think, especially complete strangers.
If people's tender sensibilities are challenged a little, maybe that's a good thing because it advances progress and tolerance. You are not asking them to cheer you on, just don't interfere with your life.
Would that day exist in Disneyland Paris too? Never heard of it, but must be fun to know who's gay and who's not very clearly for one time. btw did you get my email a while ago? just asking because there has been some technical issues.
kudos buddy, makes me happy you're enjoying your life :-)
4 comments:
I haven't been to Disneyland in AGES! Must've been truly a sight. Did you take any pics?
If you "offended" someone, why would that be your problem? You should not always defer to society its expectations of you -- sometimes you have to do what feels right to you and not worry about what others think, especially complete strangers.
If people's tender sensibilities are challenged a little, maybe that's a good thing because it advances progress and tolerance. You are not asking them to cheer you on, just don't interfere with your life.
Would that day exist in Disneyland Paris too? Never heard of it, but must be fun to know who's gay and who's not very clearly for one time.
btw did you get my email a while ago? just asking because there has been some technical issues.
kudos buddy, makes me happy you're enjoying your life :-)
Sweet! BF and I ought to schedule a Disney visit to correspond. I`d enjoy that.
Post a Comment